Section Photo
State Stamp Duty Exemptions
  • Table of stamp duty exemptions by state for First home buyers
Send page to a friend printer friendly page icon

Estimated stamp duty exemptions and the expected stamp duty payable on a $300,000 first home purchase in each state.



First home buyer exemptions

Stamp duty on $300,000 property for first home buyer


Up to $550,000:  Exempt if "new unlived-in property" otherwise no stamp duty exemptions apply.

Duty concessions reduce between $550,000 & $650,000
Over $650,000: No exemptions.

Land up to $350,000 exempt. $350,000-$450,000 on a sliding scale.

Nil if buying brand new unlived-in property

$8990 if buying established property


25% reduction off full stamp duty up to $600,000 cost price

~25% discount off full stamp duty = ~$9,096.


Exempt up to $500,000 cost price.



A First Home Buyer Grant of $4,000 available for First Home purchases with a value of up to $400,000 and phases out for property with values between $400,000 and $450,000 by $8 for every $100 in excess of $400,000.
The First home buyerG is in addition to the $7,000 First Home Owner Grant.



First home buyers exempt up to $500,000: $500,001-$600,000 $26.10 per $100 above $500,000. No exemptions on property above $600,000

Purchases of vacant land: $0-$300,000 $0; $300,001-$400,000 $15.70 per $100 above $300,000. No exemptions on vacant land above $300,000.



Home Buyer Concession Scheme (not just First home buyers) available to home buyers between 1 July, and 31 December 2009. For developed property less than $339,500, $20; $339,501 to $415,000, $20.95 per $100 above $339,501; No concession above $415,000.
For vacant land less than $189,000, $20; $189,001 to $229,400, $16.50 per $100 above $189,000; Above $229,400 no concessions.

Or if eligible for HBCS:



First home buyers duty rebate of $4,000 up to a value of $350,000
> $350,000:  No concession



First home buyers exempt up to $385,000.
Lower concession also available on duty payable on principal place of residence.


*please check with your relevant state revenue office to confirm accurancy the above figures.